Re-routing. Isn't life alot about change? The roads we travel or ever changing.....they swerve, have straight aways, mountains, long nice cruise control moments and lots of start and stops. No road is truly ever the same, although so many feel familiar.
Parenting is much the same to me....and much different. Different because my crew is different. To one child a path might be a mountain and to another a straight away. I find myself stopping at intersections I have never stopped at before. This morning? This morning I had a child who lied, was then hateful and then disrespectful. I brought that child back home with me after my school route and sat down on the couch for a long talk.
You know those talks we are sometimes forced to have with our children? I had the "these are your strengths" and "these are your weaknesses". It was harsh....but only because the choices this child is making are harsh. It seems that child's road is currently a lot of stops and starts....until they START moving on!
I had another child who is traveling seemingly right down the middle of the road and I was thinking the road was smooth and easy! The ROAD is...but that child is apparently throwing trash out the window. Polluting the world. And from the middle of the road?? I so so did not see that one coming.
I have another child who in their anxiousness to get to their destination is plowing people down! That's no way to navigate. SO I have "navigation" talks.
And yet another .....well, I think you likely realize that the roads running through my house are crazy enough to have Rand McNally raving:)
Reverse should be permanently etched in my mind. Back up and go again. This morning I sat in my van at school while a dear teacher and friend talked about an issue she has with a child. Frustration evident, I told her (and I sure did mean it) that as I have grown old I've learned that I make mistakes. It's not nearly as hard to be humble as it was when I was 25. I KNOW I fail. I know I have to re-route myself. It's so much easier as I look at the "Big picture".
I have another child who was disrespectful to me, in a big way, and I refused to grant a privilege until I had a sincere apology. It came. It was sincere. As I think about it, I believe that child expected me to apologize as well. I do when I am wrong. In this case? It was pure disrespect on child's part. I am sorry. But not for being the mother. I am due respect.
I've always liked to be open, I like to think I can change my mind about my opinion. But, the conversation HAS TO BE respectful. I loss my temper. It happens. Apparently people really think I don't....humm...ask any child of mine. Even Jesus got angry. After the mad child walked away, Chelsea who was home, was very angry, voicing her opinion about such talk. What do I say? NEVER (and I can use that word...it is not a thinking error!)...NEVER has Chelsea ever done anything like that. Disrespect is NOT a mountain for Chelsea...she does not have to re-route her thoughts...she has it. I realize to some it may come easier, personalities are calmer....but regardless....respect is not negotiable. I can say that I have never felt as embarrassed for my child's behavior as I did when Chelsea said "You never would have allowed me to talk that way to you!!". I never had to worry about that. It's a respect thing. Some people feel, un-justifiably, that they can do and say whatever they wish. That child felt they were entitled to use that language....a very false sense of entitlement at that! Those words are always etched in my heart.
I say all that....not for my bad-mouthing child....but for ME. Every event in my life brings me to know and understand my Gods love for ME. I pray that my life, that my service, that my WORDS, never be such that they bring sorrow and disappointment to God!! Parenting is humbling. Parenting is exalting. Parenting is sweet. Parenting is God-given. I know that there is not a single issue I deal with that my God has not dealt with....He always understands!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
A few of my other "mom friends" and I routinely compare stories of the good and bad our children challenge us with. The bottom line always seems to be that WE would NEVER (and I do not exaggerate with this word) have talked to parents, teachers, or any adult in authority with the disrespect we see from some of our adopted children and their friends. My older bio-kids would have said (and do - sometimes daily) that they would not have ever gotten away with that behavior either, and they're right. There is just such a significant difference in attitudes between some of my kids and others. Entitlement? unheard of when I was growing up, but quite the norm now.
With the economy the way it is right now, we need the whole family to pull together and, at the very least, understand that there need to be cutbacks made (even if it's "just in case" something big happens with our jobs). I want to know how it is even possible to get through to kids who look at our version of "normal childhoods" and think deprivation. I wonder how to reach their minds and hearts and instill in them a deeper connection to others because when they have that - the respect should just be there.
I definitely think there is a direct correlation between disrespectful kids and "stuff". I just gathered up gameboys, games and other assorted electronic misc and put it all in my room because I was so tired of finding the games on the floor, in the laundry, on the floor in the van, etc. and it's already been about 30 hours - not one person has missed it yet (or at least asked me where there stuff is). I just think they use it because it's there, because it's easy. Of course they fight over the "stuff" constantly and so far tonight - no arguing (and it's almost bedtime - woohoo!).
As parents we need to stand our ground and expect respect. I will demand it if I think someone is being blatantly disrespectful and testing me, but otherwise it just goes without saying.
Post a Comment