Before we began building (I like that word...it is intentful, intentional) our family we had "only" four children. Four children in four years. My grandmother was home (aka..retired) and she was such a tremendous part of our lives. When we lived way out in the country (lol..25 miles from no where) hers was the house we hung out at until dance was over or karate or ball practices. She always had cokes, something I rarely allowed my children to have. She would throw out a blanket on the floor and they feasted on Little Debbie's and coke while watching TV....something else we didn't have until my children were all older. We did have have a TV, and movies of mom choice, but no cable. She picked my children up from school, would drive through and get them chicken nuggets and let them individually hang out with her. No one ever complained that they didn't have a happy meal. Granny couldn't afford a happy meal and they were just thankful for the nuggets. I think all my children's first real adventure to the post office was with her. She took time and allowed them to drop the mail in the slot, she didn't care how long it took. A grandmother. A grandmothers love. I hope to be just like her. I hope I can breeze in and play and leave the love behind that she did.
She has always loved me too:) I know she loved us all, all her grandchildren. As a young mother, actually until we moved to town my my boys got "big", I always did the mowing. My grandmother would come(even to the middle of no where) and let me mow as she sat through nap time with my children. She would do that. Drive all that way and not even spend all the time with me (or the kids, they would usually sleep through most of it). She was invaluable to me as a young mother, she is still invaluable to me. She knows all the stories of my past, most times better than me. I love that. I sure do love her!!
She lovingly (and I do mean that) watched us build our family, knowing it would take huge hunks of my time. She loved me through it all. So when she asked for this picture, she was so worried about my thoughts, my feelings. "Amanda, will it upset you if I ask for a picture of your first 4? If it will, don't worry about it. I love all your children. But when people ask, I want to be able to say it start here." Above is the picture. No feelings hurt. It is the truth. Our family began with these 4 children. Now? As May approaches I will only have Jacob left at home. How crazy is that? I love them dearly, as I do all my children.
I laugh thinking about all the misconceptions of "who" is "real". I think Granny really wanted it because no one believes her..lol. My girls are as different as can be. I have three blonds: Sarah, Rosie and Victoria....almost always they are put as "I KNOW these are sisters!". I always smile and agree, they are certainly sisters, though not through birth. I think Granny wanted people to realize she really does know what she's talking about. In the nursing home now, turning 86 in two weeks, she is sharp as a tack! But, so many assume that is not the case.
SO, I have had this picture printed for Granny's picture wall. The foundation of our parenting:) It was a nice beginning and these children are the reason we desired more. Each child we have brings a uniqueness, a perspective that no other has. It's a God thing and I am so grateful:)





No comments:
Post a Comment