Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Heritage??

I followed a car the other day that had this bumper sticker:



Heritage. Not Hate.

I thought about it all the way to Memphis. I disagree. Some heritages DO cause people to have Hatred. Think about it:

Apartheid
Holocaust
Eugenics
Fascist
Pedophile
Rapist
Murderer



"Words can incite hatred or inspire greatness"

"Fighting words" don't even have First Amendment protection. We all recognize the antagonism they push upon others.

I think about the Bible characters who show us examples of imperfection. David's children's children did not run around wearing shirts that said, "Adultery. Heritage. Not hate." Paul certainly did not wear shirts with pictures of Christians be stoned that read "Stoning. Heritage. Not hate." Doesn't that just sound stupid? Likely because it is. We read and understand each of those men's history. We see the repentance of their hearts. We know they were not proud of that history. But they learned from it.

It's really hard to put aside sin and still relish it. I think that's what people with the Rebel flag are doing...just relishing. Not learning. I as much as anyone love history. I see a Rebel flag and I do understand. Just as surely as Paul persecuted Christians, thinking he was right, we see those in history fighting so many times for causes hindsight proves poor. I don't hate those people who thought they were fighting for the right. I am sorry they were ignorant of the importance of equality. African Americans were not the only ones without rights in those days....any woman was without rights as well. Hard times. People truly knew not what they were doing. If they did know? I know and trust God to settle those affairs.


In ending(to my soapbox stompin') I like this, found in an article written by SV Bosak: "If words can hurt, they can also heal." It is not Heritage that makes us great....it is the knowledge we take from our past that brings us to a better today! I tell my children all the time to use their words. Words are indeed powerful. In the words of a man who looked to the change of Americans hearts and hearts everywhere....we have the words I love "I have a dream....".

No comments: